Monday, April 7, 2008

How lovely it is to celebrate your Birthday with a cause

Yesterday on a bright and sunny Sunday morning,

About 20 of us young adults brought a orphanage to the zoo in celebration of my friend's Gretta's birthday. At first when I was asked to go to the zoo on Sunday at 9am I thought my friend was out of his mind. Firstly, the zoo is not exactly near, secondly, its 9am on a Sunday, making me miss church and lastly.....why the zoo? But when I heard it was Gretta's way of celebrating her birthday, my immediate answer was "YES! count me in!".

This struck me deep inside, making me want to celebrate my next birthday with a cause. A typical birthday celebration is one that is revolved around getting wasted and intoxicated.... some or if its mine, a lot of booty shaking and dancing like a fool :)

But what a difference it would make if all or at least some of us change this pre-conception of birthday celebrations to one that will impact the society. I personally think its awesome and something that I pray will be contagious. Think of the number of children or abused lives we can touch, if everyone played their part.

Its just something to think about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You guy & gals are amazing. This is the first time I actually know singaporeans my age celebrating their birthday for a cause! Shouts "HOOT HOOT!" for the good hearted! Keep it gal!